Thursday, February 24, 2011

Glenn Beck's Apology and the perils of too much air-time

Yes, Glenn Beck apologized for his comparison of Reform Judaism and Radical Islam.  He admits that it was a ludicrous analogy.  He apologizes for the offence caused.  He doesn't revisit the deeper issues that I raised in my blog response, of how religious values and religious life must, in my opinion, respond to the same societal issues that the legislature also deals with to be a full expression of living a life of faith.  That doesn't mean that religious values can answer the question of whether a particular piece of legislation is well-written, but they can guide us to consider whether we should address a particular need in society, and then advocate for the legislators to find a way to do that.  They should not dictate what happens in civil society, but they have a place at the table.
Listen to Beck's apology and make up your own mind.  I think I was most struck by his recognition that being on air for 4 hours every day without a script was 'a recipe for disaster'.  Glenn - I think that's the most sensible thing I've heard you say!

Rabbi Rachel Gurevitz

No comments:

Post a Comment